AE101 Owners Club
Please log in or register

AE101 Owners Club is a group of 7th gen Corolla enthusiasts from all over the world. If you're a fellow enthusiast, then join us today!

HomeCalendarUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Just another corolla (4WD/RWD) Doing a v6 engine swap
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:07 pm by sonur

» Levin SS Twinpots on Stock E10 Mac Hub
Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:24 pm by Hiro

» Lexus IS300
Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:55 pm by gold94corolla

» kickfli12's 1996 toyota corolla AE-102
Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:52 am by gold94corolla

» RARE JDM OEM PARTS
Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:55 pm by Argew24

» Jap91's Gt-Fx 20valve Corolla トヨタ・カローラ
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:27 pm by Jap91

» OEM A Pillar Map Light
Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:33 am by Jap91

» AE101 Dashboard Removal
Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:26 am by gold94corolla

» Breaking black GXI
Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:34 pm by AE102GXI

» MY AE111 SPRINTER CARIB BZ TOURING WARGON
Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:26 am by ksus

» cluster issue. help
Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:46 am by Prio

» JDM Differences
Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:25 am by Hiro

» Tom's Steering Wheel
Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:45 pm by PunkSinatra

» Charlene the AE102
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:22 am by Hiro

» COROLLA GXI
Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:06 pm by K20VFX

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 104 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:23 pm
Top posters
miib14 (7347)

gold94corolla (5272)

SHEHROZE ARAIN (1802)

MirrorEyes (1556)

magweal (1410)

Sgt_Lyna (1247)

Kiwi-Corolla (1218)

Corolla Sound (1106)

knite (1105)

Argew24 (1043)

Statistics
We have 3597 registered users
The newest registered user is OliverWong

Our users have posted a total of 42358 messages in 2925 subjects
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Please Donate to the Site
Like Us On Facebook!

Share | 

Charlene the AE102

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage
elements616

PostSubject: Re: Charlene the AE102   Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:36 pm

Looks great! I know what I'm getting next for my Corolla next Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gold94corolla
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Charlene the AE102   Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:14 am

one of my favorite upgrades

Back to top Go down
miib14
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Charlene the AE102   Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:55 am

great upgrade bro

★ 1993 Toyota Corolla Saloon  ★
トヨタ 花
♥️ AE-202 Owner ♥️

It's all about N/A Power.....
198 bhp and 148 lbft

Back to top Go down
http://www.ae101ownersclub.com
Hiro

PostSubject: Re: Charlene the AE102   Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:18 pm

Leaving a few things aside until I get some time off over Easter, but did a trial fit of my genuine JDM Toyota weathershields the other weekend - still need to get the window frames painted black (and the power folding mirrors too) and some new 3M tape run but the preliminary results look nice and neat. These are the good ones too that actually have clips that go under the window seal as well as the double-sided tape so much less chance of them flying off at 100 on the freeway.

Figured I should go back and update the original post with the current car state too

AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful 71.7kw atw, amassing awesome JDM options
JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser 1JZGTE>>3SGE. Now an organ donor
ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica. 3SGE>>4AGE - GOOOOONE
AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell!, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
KE55 - Billie the Beast.  Sadly missed

Back to top Go down
Hiro

PostSubject: Re: Charlene the AE102   Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:43 pm

After 18 months of pottering around with a stock exhaust, I finally got fed up of being bored to sleep and decided to pull the pin and install my old exhaust. In theory what should be a ~2 hour job by a mechanic with a hoist turned out to be a 2.5 day marathon in my driveway on chassis stands - first I had to drive around the world to find a shop that was open on a Saturday that actually had 2" 2-bolt exhaust flange gaskets (everyone had 2.5" and 1.75"), then the factory bolts were a pain to get undone (not surprising since they're ~18 years old, but at least they haven't been copping salt or snow), then the hangers didn't want to slide off the pins (copious amounts of WD40 required), then the engine pipe didn't want to slide out over the subframe (had to take the front hanger off the subframe), then I had to loosen the alternator to get the last manifold nut out which THEN highlighted the fact that my alternator belt had discovered meiosis.

So that was the first day. The second day involved wrestling the extractors in to place (at which point I realised I had to fully remove the alternator to have a chance of getting the extractors around the oil filter and air-con lines), which added a few dings to the back of the radiator (I'll probably get a new alloy one at some stage anyway), then slowly piece-by-piece bolting the new exhaust up (with the new gaskets and bolts/nuts/antisieze), then wrestling with the muffler to get it on to the hangers. Job done, fire it up and take it for a spin around the block to savour the sound.....................of a bloody rattle.

Bugger.

So that was the second day done and dusted. Yesterday then consisted of jacking the car up on to stands AGAIN, then going about the task of finding the rattle - turns out it was the pipe between the hotdog and the muffler hitting the tunnel heat shield (initially thought it might have been the engine pipe over the subframe) as well as the left rear muffler hanger hitting the muffler heat shield. Figuring that the only thing that could be affecting it was the engine-pipe hanger (as the bolt holes are slotted) I loosened them and wriggled things around for next-to-no improvement....

Bugger.

Next step was a niggling thought that I'd put the cat in the wrong way (as the flanges aren't parallel/aligned), so I went through the 3 other permutations of spinning and flipping the cat to see if things would line up better. On the fourth permutation (ie upside-down and back-to-front to how I had initially installed it) it seemed to make everything clear the heatshields, until I noticed that the rear cat flange was hard up against one of the studs holding the cat tunnel heat shield on.....

Bugger.

So out came the hacksaw to shorten that stud down (I don't have an angle-grinder). After an hour or so of sweating, grunting and swearing (not to mention sore arms) I had knocked off about 10mm from the stud, which then allowed the cat flange to sit high enough for the bloody rear pipe to start hitting the heat shield again....

Bugger.

So THEN I decided that maybe I had been right all along when I put the cat in first time, and things just needed to be wriggled around a bit. So for the 5th time in as many hours I removed the cat and flipped it back around to the initial guess I had made as to its orientation. Except this time I also loosened off the bolts on both the front hanger AND the subframe mount nut, then as I installed the cat I slowly did up each bolt/nut evenly all the while making sure to keep the mid- and rear-pipes centred in the tunnel. And when that was all said and done, I finally had an exhaust that was fully tight and not rubbing on anything. It would still kiss the heat shield if I kicked the tip of the muffler to each side, but a quick drive down to the post office to pick up a package showed that in day-to-day driving it wouldn't come close (if it crops up in the future I'll probably just rip that heat shield out, or at least bash it a bit more open).

Something missing?

Ahh there it is

Alternator belt discovering cell meiosis

AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell!, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last

Back to top Go down
miib14
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Charlene the AE102   Sat May 06, 2017 9:19 am

ROFL! ROFL!

★ 1993 Toyota Corolla Saloon  ★
トヨタ 花
♥️ AE-202 Owner ♥️

It's all about N/A Power.....
198 bhp and 148 lbft

Back to top Go down
http://www.ae101ownersclub.com
Hiro

PostSubject: Re: Charlene the AE102   Mon May 29, 2017 4:01 pm

Spent all of Saturday afternoon and half of Saturday night on my back under the rear end installing my Ultra Racing rear swaybar, and what a pain in the arse that turned out to be. Fortunately didn't have to drop the tank, but both straps, filler pipe, breather pipe and the exhaust from the cat back had to come out, and even then it needed some wiggling to get it out past the jack stands on the cross-member and holding up the tank.

Stock 14mm vs UR 19mm (both solid)

Fortunately managed to work out how to get my sensor light to stay on permanently, otherwise I would have had to call it quits as soon as it got dark and pick it up in the morning. Garage is too full of crap to get a car in these days, and chances are the light wouldn't have been much better in there since all underneath would have been in shadow. As it was I still didn't get everything back in and buttoned up until after 9pm.

Back to top Go down
Hiro

PostSubject: Re: Charlene the AE102   Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:51 pm

Latest acquisition - AE102 Sprinter 3-dial dash cluster. Unlike the JDM BZ Touring and FXGT 3-dial clusters, this one has the correct tacho for the 7AFE (8000rpm vs 9000rpm) AND retains the Aus-spec 200km/h speedo (vs 180 for JDM). Also doesn't have the superfluous dash lights for cat temperature, rear light failure module etc (although since the ADM Sprinters were all pre-facelift, there is no seatbelt warning light fitted). Still requires a bit of wiring magic but I'll most likely palm that off to someone who likes electrons more than I do in exchange for some beer or something.

Back to top Go down
elements616

PostSubject: Re: Charlene the AE102   Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:32 pm

Looks great. I'll see if I can do my homework on that cluster to figure out the amazing magic that is rewiring.

P.S. Did it come with half a tank of fuel too? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Hiro

PostSubject: Re: Charlene the AE102   Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:22 am

Had a go at trial-fitting the ST204 pad carrier brackets today in conjunction with the twinpot calipers, unfortunately I've got the 54mm SS AE101 discs rather than the 55mm SS AE111 discs so I couldn't quite get everything to sit snug, looks like I'll either need to machine the pad carrier a couple of mm on the mounting face or get a spacer for the rotor (which I'd prefer not to do as aftermarket rotors are all 55mm).

Brand new seal kit and 4x cylinder pistons from Toyota, grand total of $130 +p/h through Amayama

Showing the 54-to-55mm step on the AE102 hub - disc needs to be 55mm, wheels need to be 54mm.

ST204 caliper bracket on the stock 255mm disc, the rotor just skims the inner face but there's too much room on the other side, wouldn't want a pad falling out...

How the 275mm disc sits inside the carrier - since the rotor doesn't want to sit all the way in on the hub (due to the step) it actually lines up almost perfectly in the carrier, however the rotor can rock around a bit and would be dangerous to attach a wheel in this configuration

No need to trim the factory heat shield, fits perfect

SS pads fit snug in the ST204 carrier and line up millimetre-perfect with the edge of the disc

No machining of the pad carrer where it bolts to the hub either (unlike the SS carrier) - perfect fit

How it looks all assembled - if it wasn't for the mis-matched paint you'd swear it was a factory fitment

Diameter comparison of the AE102 to SS AE101 discs

Since the 14" spare wheel will no longer fit over the SS caliper (Superstrut models came with 15" wheels as standard) I decided to get a set of what I believe are facelift ZZE122 15x6" steelies.......that also happened to come with Advan A048 R-comp semi-slicks Very Happy Might just keep those in the back pocket for Toyota Nationals next year...

Even with the bigger wheels, clearance was pretty tight. Back side of the caliper was fine, but the clearance between the face of the rim and the front of the caliper is as about as tight as I'd be comfortable with

And just for laughs I fitted the ST204 pad carrier and an SS pad to the stock AE102 disc.....yeah, these brakes are going to be heaps better Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Charlene the AE102   

Back to top Go down

Charlene the AE102
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
AE101 Owners Club :: Members Rides :: AE101 Saloon-
Jump to: